Hi, my name is Dora!
I'm a game designer and researcher based in the Netherlands. Having started with a background in literary and language studies, I have increasingly specialized in writing and design for interactive media, like video games
As a game designer, I'm passionate about creating immersive and captivating worlds that transport players to another realm. My focus is on crafting engaging quests and developing intricate lore that seamlessly integrates with the gameplay mechanics. I'm committed to achieving a perfect balance between gameplay and narrative, to create an unforgettable gaming experience.
My experience so far has equipped me with the necessary skills and knowledge to create a rich and compelling game world. I believe that a well-developed world with an intriguing backstory is key to creating a sense of immersion and investment in the game. Whether it's a post-apocalyptic wasteland or a fantastical realm filled with mythical creatures, I'm dedicated to building worlds that are fully realized and authentic.
Of course, creating great games is about more than just quest design and world-building - it's also about fostering a positive and collaborative work environment. I believe that a healthy work environment is essential to creating great games and I strive to be a designer who is not only skilled and knowledgeable but also comfortable to work with.
I'm excited to work on new and challenging projects and to collaborate with like-minded individuals to create unforgettable gaming experiences.
What Other People Say About Me
"Big brain (and heart), would hire.
Dora is a great person both in the professional and personal sense. If you ever work with her you will have the delight of slowly getting to know a wonderful person who will passively and sometimes actively push and motivate you to reach higher heights. [. . .] But there is more, because she’s actually a narrative designer, and bless the studio that will hire her specifically for this job. You will have hired a powerhouse that will put her energy into making a product for you, who will time manage as a pro, set goals as a pro and show you the true sense of productivity."
- Arne Bongers, Junior Programmer at Vertigo Games
"Dora is a delight to work with. She has shown why she is passionate about narrative design and does a tremendous job of sharing this knowledge with the team to make the best design decisions. Her arguments are solid and she's always able to explain them to anyone. Her energy and enthusiasm contribute to any team and will really shine when she feels comfortable. She works well individually and plans her time very accurately. Whenever there is a possible change within her schedule she notified me immediately. While working together she also supervised multiple designers and organized design meetings and brainstorms. Dora's most interesting feature is the numerous sounds she produces that reflect her mood. She has a quiet and calm personality and enjoys working with multiple disciplines. Any team will benefit greatly when she's a part of it.
- Renko van den Hout, Producer at Playstation Studios
"Dora is an excellent writer who has always turned in their work on time if not early, with no problems. They have gone above and beyond to participate in Workshop events and set themselves apart from our other writers through their hard work and creative ideas. They are a pleasure to work with and will be the same for wherever their career takes them!"
- Kaleigh Landers, Writing Manager at Monochrome Workshop
Below is a quick overview of literary pieces, movies, and games that have influenced (and still influence) my work.
Video games inspiration:
- Hades (Supergiant Games, 2018).
- Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix, 1997).
- The Last of Us (Naughty Dog, 2013).
- Deliver Us the Moon (KeokeN Interactive, 2018).
- Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (The Chinese Room, 2015), and other works by the studio.
- The BioShock series (2K Games, Irrational Games, and 2K Marin).
- Disco Elysium - The Final Cut (ZA/UM, 2019).
- NieR: Automata (Platinum Games, 2017).
- The Matrix (1999) by Lana and Lilly Wachowski.
- The Lord of the Rings series (2001-2003) by Peter Jackson.
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Corpse Bride (2005), Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007), and other works by Tim Burton.
- The cinematic tradition of German Expressionism, especially The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) and other works by Robert Wiene.
- Batman: The Dark Knight (2008) by Christopher Nolan.
- Princess Mononoke (1997) and other works by by Hayao Miyazaki.
- The Silence of the Lambs (1991) by Jonathan Demme.
- Poems and short stories by Edgar Allan Poe.
- Poems and short stories by H. P. Lovecraft.
- The Brothers Karamazov (1879), Demons (1871-72) and Crime and Punishment (1866) by F. M. Dostoevsky.
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) by Oscar Wilde.
- In Search of Lost Time (1913) by Marcel Proust.
- Flowers of Evil (1968) by Charles Baudelaire.
- The Master & Margarita (1966) by Mikhail Bulgakov.
- Short stories by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.
- Short stories by Kyoka Izumi.